Advice & Tips
Advice and Tips
At Yorkshire Movers, our role is to get your items from A to B – hassle free. Drawing upon decades of experience in the industry, our team have put together some helpful tips to ensure your move goes as smoothly as possible.
Below you will find important health and safety information along with optional ideas that you may find useful before, during, and after moving day.
If you need any more advice on how to prepare for your removal, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
- Pack your boxes as full as possible and tape both the top and bottom securely.
- Avoid making them too heavy as the movers are human!
- If you have items like curtain poles, tape them together to speed up the packing process.
- Wrap delicate items in newspaper or bubble wrap to protect them.
- Try to make things as flat or square as possible to make packing easier.
- For storage boxes, use high-quality ones or banana crates rather than weak ones like crisp boxes or cheap plastic tubs.
- The kettle should be the last thing you pack as you’ll need a drink.
- Safely bag your clothing and underwear as drawers may need to be removed from heavy furniture.
On the day of your move
- To help the removal team, make sure there is a clear path for them with no things in the way that they might trip over.
- Gather items that are the same shape together to make them easier to move.
- Don’t forget your keys, as someone will need to open the door at the new place.
- Offer the team drinks, especially if it’s hot out, as moving things is hard work. They may appreciate a Tunnock’s Caramel Wafer as well.
Getting organised for your move
- If you didn’t tell the removal team to take apart any furniture, then you should take apart difficult items like beds to make the removal process easier.
- To prepare the washing machine, unplug it and put any removable pipes inside. There will be clips at the back that hold the waste pipe, but you need to empty the waste water first.
- For the fridge, make sure to empty it out so nothing spills or gets messy.
- Finally, let the removal team know about all the items you want to move before they start packing. Delicate items don’t go in last, but should be placed where they can be protected and not next to items that can’t be packed.
Before your move
At Yorkshire Van Man, we offer a complete service for moving homes. We support you through the process, from start to finish. Before the move, we plan everything carefully to understand your specific needs.
- When you speak to us about your move, make sure you tell us everything, even the little things. Some items may need special attention, so explain exactly what you need moved.
- Make sure we can access both properties – is there a lift or permits required? It may be useful to tell your neighbours or council about your moving date, at least seven days before, to avoid fees.
- Try to be organised as it helps speed everything up, even small things can save time. To save time and cost, move items downstairs or close to the door.
- If you are paying in cash, make sure to withdraw the funds before so you don’t have to make last-minute bank trips.
After your move
If you think the removal man has done a good job, please leave a review. We at Yorkshire Van Man appreciate feedback from satisfied customers, as it helps us to attract more business and provide excellent service to others.